Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Underwood 3 Bank Revival


I find the paint loss adds to the machines overall look, giving it an air of antiquity, of hard use, and survival of all that the ages have thrown at it. (Ok, I would rather it looked like it just rolled out of the factory, but as it just happens Underwood no longer makes these guys. Nor does Underwood exist as a company anymore. A pity.)

What it was like before any work (top) versus what it looks like now (bottom). 


Not quite as shiny as my later model, but just as classy.


Trust me, these pictures do no justice to how much cleaner it is. Photography is not a strong point of mine.

Cheers!
Words are Winged
5/28/14

3 comments:

  1. Also, the oldest models read "Made in USA" and "Patents Pending" on the back; newer models list a series of patent dates.

    What's the serial number on yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older one is serial number 17,700, manufactured approx.1921, and the newer one is serial number 180,568, manufactured approx. 1926. As it just so happens I am waiting on another machine in the mail which, due to the lack of patent dates on the back, is even earlier then these two. My fingers are crosses that it ends up being an incredibly low serial number, but with my luck it'll be the last one produced with that decaling. I'm curious as to whether Serial number 1 still exists out there, or if it was smelted for scrap during the second world war.

      Delete
    2. I eagerly await the news, then. I got lucky, landing #537 (http://youtu.be/_pN-2wi9zVk) on eBay. I'll keep watch here.

      Delete