Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Curious Brown Fox: Answers

Greetings again to thee, Typospherians. In a follow up to my previous post, I now have the answers to my 3 questions, and they are as follows:

1) How does the bell-system work? Due directly to the help of Mr. Robert Messenger and Mr. Richard Polt, I now have sufficient examples to properly fix my machine. Said examples can be found here, http://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2014/07/anatomy-of-fox-no-1-portable-typewriter.html, in what is quite clearly now the most in-depth dive into the workings of the Fox Portable to currently grace the internet.

2) How does the ribbon change direction? Mr. Richard Polt provides the answer: "Try loosening the nut on whichever spool is being unspooled. When you reach the end of the ribbon, tighten it and loosen the other one. Crude, yes, but a common system on early portables."

3)Where in blazes is the serial number? The serial number is found to the left of the key-basket, on the frame of the inner machine. My Fox Portable No. 1 is #319.

Once again, a special Thank You to Mr. Richard Polt and Mr. Robert Messenger, without whom I would most certainly still be staring endlessly at my machine, a silent tear of hopelessness running down my face.

Stay tuned later this week for an update on the restoration of the Fox Portable No. 1

2 comments: