Sunday, September 5, 2021

Fox word counter

 In the operational manual for Fox visible desktop models, in a section towards the back which covers add-ons and other extra items you could buy, one will find that Fox offered a word counter for their machines;


Understandably, this was likely seldom purchased, and I have yet to hear of any surviving machines having one attached. However, with just a bit of quick sleuthing, I believe I've located the counter in question (or at least a very similar model), as advertised by the original manufacturer;


It seems that Veeder was the established counter-mechanism manufacturer of the age. Now, to keep an eye out for one on that ever-popular electronic bay.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I suppose it attached to the space bar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly, a response comment is better late than never. In any event, I'm actually very curious as to how this operated on the machine. The best I can figure is that it was installed on the back, where a bracket would otherwise be mounted for the copy holder. How it would actually attach to the spacebar is beyond me. Given the setup of the universal bar, I can only assume some long metal arm reached down to latch on towards the back of the spacebar levers.

      Delete