Thursday, May 22, 2014

Underwood 3 Bank Portable Typewriter Rebirth












She may not be pretty now, but after I've carefully cleaned and polished her up, She'll seem like a new machine


























The biggest issue I've got to deal with truly is the lack of a Y type-slug. It still confuses me how these ever could have come off in the first place.


And so far, I've learned how to take the carriage off of its rails. This machine is getting the deep clean.



My biggest question is, and I've noticed this on the other 3 Banks i own, is that the serial number on the right side frame of the machine and the serial number on the bottom of the machine do not match. They are always close, but not exact. Unlike other machines, did Underwood simply produce the parts and chuck them together willy-nilly despite conflicting serial numbering? Or did i happen to get three machines that had had parts swapped out? Please, let me know.
Tune in next time for a continuation of the restoration of a previously downtrodden machine!

2 comments:

  1. That looks pretty beat up! Keep us updated about the progress. If I remember when I get home I'll check mine for the serials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was noticing recently that on Underwood 4-banks, too, there are different numbers. It's funny.

    Looking forward to more posts from you.

    ReplyDelete