Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Masspro Typewriter

It's happened again. A machine that I originally held little love for gradually gained my interest, to the point where I truly desired it. I had only ever really heard of the Masspro typewriter a few times, once noted in one of the typewriter collecting books by Russo (where it was stated that it was a machine not worth any time, money, or consideration), and again on Mr. Messenger's blog, OzTypewriter. It was his posts on the little machine that got my interest up a bit, and increased my desire to own one.

After failing to win a Standard Folding 2 that happened to be on auction the same week as the Masspro, I decided that hell or high water, I was going to win the Masspro. And I did.

It arrived the other day, and I couldn't be more delighted. It's like a Corona 4 in a very broad sense, but it has the most simple design I've seen from a 30's machine (outside the Corona 3 of course). I am most eager to get it back into working order, and try it out. I hear terrible things about it, but I am loathe to accept such until I have the personal experience of typing on it after I've cleaned and repaired it. Age, often, is a detractor in the typing capability of any machine and can make an otherwise good machine feel like a toy.

Anyway, once it arrived, I planned the operation. No machine, no matter how rare (save perhaps for a Sholes and Glidden) is safe from me and my dastardly ways.

First, as I prepared the operation table, I figured I would take a shot of my growing pile of spools. This is nothing compared to some other collectors/repairmen, but still. I've got a bit of everything at this point.


The Masspro awaits its checkup.


The front plate comes off easily, after taking out just 4 screws.



The back plate comes off with just two screws, and on it you will find the serial number. When I looked lastnight int he dark, I got 1945 as the number, but with the plate off and easier to see, it turns out that it is 1045. Pretty early, if they started at the 1000 mark.


And here I messed up the next picture


The next picture. The ribbon cups and mechanisms have been taken off.


It's a very simple machine, truly, and honestly must have been incredibly easy to build.


It turns out that there are only two screws between the carriage and the body. Slides right out, as long as you also pop a hook out of a certain spot.




The carriage is pretty dang simple too. Once I get the body cleaned up, I'll be focusing on it.



Thats it for todays look at a Masspro typewriter. Stay tuned for results, and subsequent typing!

6 comments:

  1. These three bank machines are very enticing. I really like they way they make the most out of a small footprint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's part of why I love 3 banks; there is just so much engineering in such a small little portable piece of machinery.

      Delete
  2. Don't listen to the naysayers! I love my Masspro. Looking forward to the result of your refurbishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far everything on the body and most of the carriage is working fine, but I'm stuck dealing with the carriage itself not wanting to smoothly ride along its rail. Some patience and consideration will surely make it work wonders

      Delete
  3. Have fun with the Masspro!

    Hey, what machine did that spool come from that has the writing on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already proving a fun (though for some things annoying) little machine to deal with.

      The spools with the writing on them in the lower right corner are from a machine which I have only heard whispers about; a Fox desktop. I had left some typewriter ribbon out in the night to try and lure one of them for capture, but when I went to check the trap only these spools remained, and some light typetracks in the snow leading off into the woods. Someday, perhaps.

      Delete